Article 11.1 - Zoning Administration

.1 Zoning Administrator

Primary responsibility for administering and enforcing this ordinance may be assigned to one (1) or more individuals by the Town Manager.  The person or persons to whom these functions are assigned shall be referred to in this ordinance as the "Zoning Administrator".  The term "staff" or "Planning staff" is sometimes used interchangeably with the term "Zoning Administrator." Any function or responsibility assigned by this ordinance to the Administrator may be delegated by such person to another employee or agent acting under the Administrator's control or at his direction unless such delegation is prohibited by the Town Manager. 

No staff member, including the Zoning Administrator, shall make a final decision on an administrative decision pursuant to this ordinance where the outcome of that decision would have a direct, substantial, and readily identifiable financial impact on the staff member or if the applicant or other person subject to that decision is a person with whom the staff member has a close familial, business, or other associational relationship. For purposes of this section, a "close familial relationship" means a spouse, parent, child, brother, sister, grandparent, or grandchild. The term includes the step, half, and in-law relationships. If a staff member has a conflict of interest under this section, the administrative decision shall be assigned to the supervisor of the staff person or such other staff person as may be designated by Zoning Administrator. 

.2 Intent and Applicability

The Zoning Administrator shall enforce, conduct reviews, ensure zoning compliance, and manage the development approval procedures set forth in this article for the Town of Huntersville.

a) A building permit and a certificate of occupancy are required for uses permitted by right, under prescribed conditions, or subject to an approved conditional zoning district or special use permit, and all uses and structures accessory thereto.

b) A certificate of occupancy is required for changes in the use of property.

Zoning compliance, under these regulations, is required for the issuance of building permits, certificates of occupancy, sign permits, and zoning use permits.

.3 Building Permit

No development shall occur except pursuant to a building permit, when one is required. A building permit is generally required for the activities below. Other building activities may also require a permit.

a) The addition, repair, or replacement of load bearing structures.

b)    The installation, extension, or general repair of any plumbing system or an addition or change in the design of plumbing.

c)    The addition, replacement, or change in the design of heating, air conditioning, or electrical wiring, devices, appliances, or equipment.

d) The addition of roofing.

e) Commercial work of any value.

f) Work on single-family residential or farm buildings exceeding $5,000.

g) The following work, even if not in excess of $5,000:

  • construction of deck, fireplace, pier, or storage building;
  • installation or replacement of insulation, wood stove, or hot water heater;
  • moving a building;
  • demolition of a building.

.4 Certificate of Occupancy

A certificate of occupancy must be issued prior to the occupation, use, or change in use of any land, building, or structure, except for land used for agricultural purposes.

Table of Contents

Zoning Ordinance Table of Contents