- 21 years of age or older
- Citizen of the United States
- High School graduate or possess an equivalency certificate
- Possess a valid North Carolina driver’s license
- Possess or be able to obtain a valid North Carolina Law Enforcement Certificate (BLET). Strong preference toward BLET certified candidates. Lack of current BLET certification may exclude from process.
- Good moral character
- Have not committed or been convicted of a felony
- Have no more than 4 Class A misdemeanor convictions (within last 5 years)
- Have no Class B misdemeanor convictions
- Starting Salary: $38,636 (DOQ)
- Take home vehicle for in-town residency
- 2.5% pay incentive for residency within Town limits
- 5% pay incentive for Bachelor's Degree
- 2.5% pay incentive for Associate's Degree
- Employee assistance program
- 5% of annual salary contributed by Town to 401K
- Paid medical and dental insurance for employee
- Life insurance - two times annual salary with cap at $200,000
- Long term disability coverage
- Fitness membership at reduced rates
- NC Local Governmental Retirement System membership
- Equivalent of 10 vacation days (80 hours) per year
- Equivalent of 12 sick days (96 hours) per year
- 12 holidays per year
The Selection Process
Huntersville Police Department will perform the following screening process of applicants that meet the essential requirements for employing in the following order:
- Receipt of resume/application
- Applicant pre-employment test
- An oral interview before a board of staff officers of the police department. Only qualified applicants will be invited back for further testing. Not all applicants who are interviewed will be carried forward.
- Each applicant who is carried over from the oral board will have an extensive background investigation completed. Only the most qualified applicants will be invited back for further testing. Not all applicants who are interviewed will be carried forward.
- Applicants who are carried forward from the background investigation process will be given a "Conditional Offer of Employment" and then must pass or meet the Huntersville Police Department standards on the following examinations:
- Medical examination (physical and drug screen)
- Psychological assessment
- Polygraph examination
- Firearms qualification
Upon hire, the new employee is subject to a one year probation period which will include a 14-week field training assignment.
To start the application process for employment as a Huntersville Police Officer, prepare a resume, cover letter, and a copy of your BLET certification and visit the Huntersville Police Department Employment site.
To contact a recruiter, click here.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Town of Huntersville is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other basis prohibited by law.