- Planning Department
- Zoning Permits & Inspections
- Building Permits
- Residential Building Permits
Residential Building Permits
To submit a residential building permit, complete an online building permit application and upload appropriate supporting documentation by following these steps:
- Visit the Charlotte Mecklenburg Permitting Website and create an account under the appropriate section.
- Apply for a building permit.
- You can apply for a permit in person at or online. To apply in person, visit the Mecklenburg County Land Use and Enviromental Services Agency office at 2145 Suttle Ave, Charlotte, NC 28208. To apply online, visit the Charlotte Mecklenburg Permitting Website. If you do not have an existing account you will need to create one.
If you need help applying for the building permit please contact Mecklenburg County Code Enforcement at 980-314-2633 as they can best assist you with the application.
- If the permit includes exterior work that requires zoning review (ex. new construction, additions, decks, pools, sheds, etc.):
- Print off the Plot Plan form.
- Draw the proposed project on the Plot Plan Form and upload the document back into Charlotte Mecklenburg Permitting Website.
- For new homes, that are not within a major subdivision, complete and upload the Huntersville Erosion Control Form (Less than 1 ac)
All building permits for properties located in Huntersville require zoning approval from the Town of Huntersville, including new construction, additions, demolitions, interior up-fits, accessory structures, decks, pools, piers/docks, etc. To request a zoning review for approval, submit the forms in the previous section.
Zoning Deferred Status
The Huntersville Planning Department will be notified by Mecklenburg County to perform a zoning review on your permit. Your permit application will remain in a deferred status until we have completed the zoning review.
- If you do not see any action taken by Huntersville within 3 business days of submittal, PLEASE contact us by email or by calling 704-875-7000.
- Please provide your permit number and property address so that we can locate your permit within Mecklenburg County's online system.
Note that Huntersville does not review trade permits (mechanical, electrical, plumbing).
If you have any questions on the process, we encourage you to contact us by email or call us 704-875-7000.