Recycling collection is handled by Waste Connections and will be collected once every two weeks. Recycling must be curbside by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
Information on recyclable items is available on the Mecklenburg County's WipeOutWaste website. A brief description of items that can be recycled include:
- Aluminum and Metal Cans
- Aluminum Containers
- Empty Aerosol Cans
- Glass Bottles and Jars
- Juice and Milk Cartons
- Pizza and Food Boxes
- Plastic Bottles with necks only
- Steel / Tin Cans
Note: It is a state law that plastics 1 and 2 as well as aluminum must be recycled.
Items are not appropriate for curbside service include:
- Auto parts (Accepted at Mecklenburg County's Full Service Recycling Centers)
- Automotive Fluids
- Bulky Waste
- Car and Other Batteries (Take to one of Mecklenburg County's Full Service Recycling Centers for disposal)
- Clothing (Consider donating, if cannot be donated, place bagged items in garbage cart)
- Construction Debris
- Electrical Cords (Accepted at Mecklenburg County Full Service Recycling Center)
- Electronics (Accepted at Mecklenburg County's Full Service Recycling Centers)
- Food Wrappers / Plastic Film
- Hoses (Place bagged hoses in garbage cart)
- Light bulbs and Household Glass (Bring to Mecklenburg County Full Service Recycling Center for Proper Management)
- Mini blinds
- Paper Plates / Cups / Napkins
- Plastic Bags (Many stores have programs that accept these)
- Plastic Food Trays / Cups / Cutlery
- Plastic containers other than bottles with necks
- Polystyrene Foam
- Pots and Pans
- Shredded Paper
- Wire Hangers
- Yard Waste
Please note: Appliances should not be placed in rollout containers. Batteries and light bulbs are considered household hazardous waste and need to be taken to one of Mecklenburg County's Full-Service Recycling Centers.
Recycling that does not meet the above criteria will be tagged as non-compliant. Please call Waste Connections at 704-596-9428 for more information.
Residents can also drop off recyclables at the North Mecklenburg Recycling Center and Yard Waste located at 12300 North Statesville Road. Contact the Center for more information at 980-314-3844.
Recycling Center Locator
Enter your address into the online Recycling Center Locator to locate the nearest recycling drop-off center within Mecklenburg County.
Visit www.wipeoutwaste.com for Disposal and Recycling Convenience Centers.