Impervious Area

Impervious area is the amount of surface area that water cannot penetrate. Examples of impervious surfaces include sidewalks, driveways, roofed areas (houses, porches, etc.), patios, pool decking, etc. Pollutants such as oil and other chemicals runoff from impervious areas directly into our creeks, streams, and lakes which negatively impacts water quality. Click HERE to view a map of the area impacted by impervious restrictions.

How do I locate my estimated impervious area?

You can use the steps below to identify what Mecklenburg County reports for your impervious calculation.

1. Visit Mecklenburg County Geo Portal

2. Type in the street address or parcel ID

3. Select the tab "Impervious"

 - Your estimated total impervious area is listed here in square footage. 

How do I locate my maximum built-upon/impervious area allowed?

This information is recorded on the plat or calculated based on the watershed district your property falls in. To determine your maximum allowed area please email: and provide your property address or parcel ID with a request for the calculation of your impervious area allowed. If you choose to call and request the information please note that we will need the property address or parcel ID and we will return your call when the necessary research has been completed. 

Planning staff will research the plat, subdivision records (if applicable), watershed calculations (if applicable), any first-time build variances, and any deeded restrictions. Please allow up to 48 hours for staff to complete the review necessary to provide you with accurate information. All requests are processed in the order received and may be delayed if accurate information is not provided. 

What counts as impervious?

Mecklenburg County Department of Environmental Protection determines what materials are pervious and impervious, regardless of commercial designation. Please review the current list here. This list is not all-inclusive and is subject to modification.

Can I acquire more impervious area?

If a property seeks to add impervious area beyond its maximum limit or if a property is over its impervious maximum, there are a few options.

Reduce Your Use

You can remove impervious area to come into compliance.

Impervious Transfer

You may identify an eligible property within your subdivision that may be interested in transferring impervious area to your property. Planning staff can confirm eligibility and assist you with completing the transfer so that it is legally recorded and documented.

Density Averaging

You may review the requirements for eligibility for a Density Averaging Certificate in Articles 3.3.2.A, 3.3.2.B, or 3.3.3.A. Planning staff can confirm eligibility and assist you with completing the transfer so that it is legally recorded and documented.