The Town of Huntersville currently provides funding for street lights on Town maintained streets within Huntersville Town limits. For existing neighborhood lights and to request the Town take over billing all HOA’s must meet buy-down requirements with the assigned energy provider. To request additional lights within your neighborhood the Town must currently provide funding for the existing lights in your community. The Town will record and log each request at the time it is submitted to the Public Works Director for approval. If approved, street light requests will move to waiting list status until funding is made available for the upcoming budget year. Deadline for requests is by March 1 of each year.  

Town maintained streets can be identified using the below Powell Bill Maps.  

Click HERE to access the 2021 Powell Bill Map - EAST  

Click HERE to access the 2021 Powell Bill Map - WEST  

Further information can be found in the Town's Street Light Policy

Application for Street Lights Acceptance 

  1. Kim Behrenbrinker


Each neighborhood has the option of installing street lighting at your expense. Expenses may include all installation costs and all monthly maintenance fees. The Town makes no commitment to assume monthly billing costs until the street light billing has been approved for takeover by the Town.


All public street light fixtures are maintained and repaired by the appropriate energy provider, not the Town's Public Works Department. Residents can request street light repairs from their utility provider. 

Energy United customers may call Energy United Customer Care 800-522-3793 or submit an outage via the Energy United website.  Click on Request A Repair option > Report Now.  Users will then be prompted to sign up for MyEnergyHub.  

Electricities  customers may call Electricities Customer Service 704-948-0550 or submit via the Electricities website

Duke Energy customers may call Duke Energy Customer Service 800-777-9898 or submit via the  Duke Energy website

 You may use your electric bill, or THIS MAP to help identify your energy provider.  

For additional assistance, please call Public Works or submit the Street Light Repair Request form  

  • Street light repair requests are for street lighting on Town maintained streets only
  • All public street light fixtures are maintained and repaired by the appropriate energy provider, not the Town's Public Works Department. 
  • Any requests for repairs, such as bulb replacements, will be forwarded to the proper energy provider.

Additional questions or concerns?  Contact the Public Works Department at  704-875-7007