Bond Information and Forms

Project Bonds

Builders, developers, or owners of public improvements must establish a bond or surety as part of the land development process.  The bond will remain in place until the public improvements are completed or a maintenance period has been successfully fulfilled. If the builder, developer, or owner fails to meet the obligation to complete public improvements, the Town of Huntersville can use bond monies to complete the improvements.

Categories of Bonds

Construction/Performance bonds: Required when public improvements are shown on an approved plan but are not yet constructed. These improvements can include trees, landscaping, roadways, pavement, sidewalk, storm drainage infrastructure, Best Management Practices (BMPs), and other infrastructures. These bonds must be established prior to approval of construction plans or prior to Town signing of a plat. Construction bonds have minimum time period of six months or longer depending on the improvement(s) required. 

Maintenance bonds: Required when certain public improvements, typically roadways and BMPs, are completed, but the majority of the development activities associated with the project have not been completed. Passing one or more field inspections is required before a maintenance bond can be secured.

 A roadway maintenance bond is required once the number of homes built in a subdivision meets the Town’s density requirements (typically 75% to 100% of homes or lots are completed) and the Town Board accepts the streets for maintenance. Roadway maintenance bonds have a minimum time period of one year.

A BMP maintenance bond must be established once the water quality BMP as-built has been certified compliant by the engineer of record and approved by the Town. Maintenance bonds have typical minimum time periods of two years depending upon the improvement.  

Types of Bonds

Acceptable methods of providing funds include:

  • Letter of Credit (LOC) - prepared by and obtained from a banking institution
  • Cash - a certified bank check or money order, made payable to "Town of Huntersville"
  • Surety - prepared and obtained from an insurance entity

Bond Processing Fees

  • Posting of a new bond $500
  • Bond renewal (each year the Construction Bond is required) $500
  • Bond reduction $500
    A one-time reduction per life cycle of a bond is allowed. A reduction request must be submitted 60 days prior to the bond expiration date.
  • Bond replacement $500
    Process and associated fee applies when:
    • Replacing one type of surety with another type, or
    • If changing principal owners, or
    • Replacing a Construction Bond with a Maintenance Bond.
      Roadway Maintenance Bond process and information must be submitted to the  Town 60 days or more prior to the construction bond expiration date. The RWM bond duration is one year from the date the Town Board accepts the subdivision streets.
  • Final Release of a bond $500

Fees are subject to change.

Obtaining a NEW Bond

All projects must be submitted to the Town Land Development staff for review. 

Submit a project or subdivision bond estimate request to the Town by completing the Bond Inspection Request Form (BAINSP) 

The Project Engineer must complete a Bond Estimate Form .  Submit the Bond Estimate Form along with the Bond Inspection Request Form (BAINSP) (from Step 2 above). The form should not be signed or sealed until approved. If a plat is required, the Bond Estimate Form should be submitted with the plat submittal.  Submit both forms:

  • via Email to, 
  • or via USPS/FedEx/Courier.

Town of Huntersville

105 Gilead Road, Suite 300

Huntersville, NC 28078

Attn: Kim Behrenbrinker

The submitted information will be reviewed and a field inspection performed to verify current project status. The Bond Administrator will email the applicant with the approved bond amount and the appropriate Guarantee of Installation form.  

The applicant must submit the following original documents to secure a bond:

  1. The approved, signed and sealed Bond Estimate Form
  2. The completed, appropriate Guarantee of Installation form and Attachment
    • Letter of Credit Installation Form (Form BA071902).  Also provide the Town of Huntersville Letter of Credit Instructions Form LOC0719 to the financial institution that will generate the Letter of Credit.  This exact verbiage must be used by the bank.
    • Cash Guarantee of Installation Form (Form BA071903)
    • Surety Guarantee of Installation Form (Form BA071901)
  3. the original bond itself (Letter of Credit, Cash or Surety)
  4. the appropriate bond fee
    • via check, made payable to "Town of Huntersville
    • via credit card payable on the Town website.


To reduce, release or replace a bond, the applicant must complete the following steps; 

  1. Fill out the Bond Inspection Request Form (BAINSP) for the project or subdivision and submits the completed form, via email, to
  2. Pay the bond fee 

Once steps 1 and 2 above are completed and submitted to the Town, the Bond Administrator will inform the proper entities of the request. 

A field inspection is conducted to verify project conditions 

The applicant is notified via email and provided further instructions to complete the request. 

The bond will not be accepted until all approvals, outstanding fees and requirements are satisfied. 

Please note the bond request may result in a bond amount increase due to current project conditions. 

  1. Kim Behrenbrinker

    Land Development Bond Administrator
    Phone: 704-766-2257