Local tradition holds the home was known as Scottish for “fireside,” which was erected during the years immediately following the Civil War. Ingleside was the home of Dr. William Speight McLean Davidson (1817-1873), a prominent physician and planter of northern Mecklenburg. Speight was a grandson of Major John Davidson, who constructed the plantation house at Rural Hill. Dr. William Davidson was a member of the first graduating class at Davidson College in 1840 and had a medical practice that extended from Long Creek to the Iredell County line. He is buried at Hopewell Presbyterian Church.
Visit the Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission for more information.