Candidates must meet the minimum standards for certification as a police officer in NC:
• 21 years of age or older
• Citizen of the United States
• High School graduate or possess an equivalency certificate
• Possess a valid North Carolina driver’s license
• Possess or be able to obtain a valid North Carolina Law Enforcement Certificate (BLET). Strong preference toward BLET certified candidates. Lack of current BLET certification may exclude from process.
• Good moral character
• Have not committed or been convicted of a felony
• Have no more than 4 Class A misdemeanor convictions (within last 5 years)
• Have no Class B misdemeanor convictions
Read more about Class A and B misdemeanor certification guidelines.