Article 9.55 - Halfway Houses

Halfway houses are permitted in the Special Purpose (SP), Highway Commercial (HC) and Campus Institutional (CI) zoning districts subject to a Special Use Permit, according to the procedures of Section 11.4.10.

The Town Board shall issue a Special Use Permit for a halfway house in the SP, HC or CI district if, but not unless, the evidence presented at the Special Use Permit hearing establishes:

1. The following shall be prohibited:

a. Persons dangerous to others

b. Sex offenders

c. Active (but not recovering) substance abusers

2. A Halfway house must meet a permitted building and lot type for the district in which it is to be located.

3. No Halfway house may be located within a one-half (1/2) mile radius of any other halfway house or any schools (public or private), parks, playgrounds, day care centers, public and private youth centers.

  1. Applicant must include in their submittal an area plan showing zoning classifications and land uses of all properties within a one-half mile radius of the site of the proposed halfway house.
  2. This minimum separation requirement may be waived in situations where its purpose can be otherwise met.

4. Applicant must provide:

a. Copy of arrest/release records for all occupants.

b. Copy of any contracts or policies for the operation of the facility.

c. Copy of the rules for the residents of the halfway house.

d. Documentation stating that a supervisor will be on duty at all times.

Table of Contents

Zoning Ordinance Table of Contents