Public Works Equipment Operator
Starting Salary: $30,667.72 with a 5% increase at the end of a successful 6-month probation period.
Description of Work: Position will function primarily under general supervision of Public Works Crew Leader(s) in the operation of various light to heavy motorized equipment in the construction and maintenance of streets, storm drainage systems, sidewalks, curb & gutter, right-of-way and other Town facilities. Additionally, when not operating equipment, performs unskilled, semi-skilled and/or skilled manual labor as assigned.
Essential Duties, Skills, and Demands of the Position: The following functions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
• Operates a variety of equipment including backhoe, excavator, skid steer loader, dump truck, asphalt roller, asphalt paver, asphalt patch truck, motor grader, tractors, and other light to heavy equipment in the performance of tasks.
• Uses a variety of hand tools in performance of tasks.
• Frequently assigns work to Public Works Laborer crew members to accomplish assigned tasks.
• Occasionally performs duties typically assigned to Public Works Crew Leader when deemed necessary by Public Works Operations Manager.
• Ensures that all safety rules and regulations are observed on the job site.
• Participates in all training made available.
• Maintains records and logs of services performed.
• Assists in the fabrication and/or installation of street signs.
• Performs grounds maintenance duties including mowing grass, trimming shrubs, removing weeds, trash/bulk item collection, etc.
• Performs routine service on equipment as assigned.
• Performs all other duties as apparent and/or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Thorough knowledge of public works operations and the practices and techniques of operating and servicing motorized vehicles and equipment; general knowledge of the traffic law and regulations governing equipment operation; general knowledge of the occupational hazards involved and the safety precautions necessary in public works operations; some knowledge of geography and soil characteristics; skill and care in the operation of several types of trucks and construction equipment; ability to perform manual labor for extended periods of time, often under unfavorable weather conditions; ability to learn geography of Town; ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions; ability to read sketches and plans for quantity calculations; mechanical aptitude; ability to make minor repairs and adjustments to equipment; ability to communicate work directions to assigned personnel; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates.
Education and Experience: High school diploma or GED and experience operating medium to heavy construction equipment, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Physical Requirements: This work requires the regular exertion of up to 25 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 50 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 100 pounds of force; work regularly requires reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, walking, sitting, climbing or balancing and stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling; work requires depth perception and color perception; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires use of measuring devices and observing general surroundings and activities; work regularly requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions and exposure to vibration, frequently working near moving mechanical parts and exposure to the risk of electrical shock and occasionally requires exposure to extreme cold and exposure to extreme heat; work is generally in a very loud noise location. This position is subject to Emergency Call Back during emergency situations and inclement weather.
Special Requirements: A valid NC Commercial Driver’s License Class A (CDL) will be required within 90 working days of job appointment.
How to Apply: All applicants must submit a Town of Huntersville application to the contact person listed below. Resume will not be accepted in lieu of completing Town of Huntersville application.
Contact Person: Candice Tatu- Administrative Assistant (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Contact Address: Town of Huntersville, PO Box 664, Huntersville, NC 28070
Contact Phone: (704) 875-7007
Contact Fax: (704) 875-1114